Friday, November 10, 2017

An open letter from Charlotte Stephenson UPDATED

Time for a New Chapter!

To friends of all party affiliations who helped with my campaign, thank you! To the few voters who considered the person rather than the party and responded to my invitation to “interview” me and make an informed choice, kudos to you! From recycling questions to property taxes we had important dialogue. I ran for office to understand our needs and potentially serve our residents to the best of my ability. In spite of my outreach efforts, as one of our witty community members says “Don’t confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up!”

According to the Allegheny County Elections Bureau report, 72.86% of Democrats and 26.14% of Republicans voted the straight party line. (I believe this is county-wide, no data on municipal voting.)
According to the data I received in the spring, there were 37% Republican and 51% Democrat registered voters in Ward 2. This probably changed over the past several months since people move, change party affiliations and register. Election results showed that I received 31.4% and my opponent received 68.6% of the votes.

Competition in elections is important. Unfortunately, here in Mt. Lebanon there is no real competition other than within the Democrat Committee, and there will not be any anytime soon. Yes, the local Republican Committee has been completely ineffective for some time and I attempted to change that, but our predominantly Democrat community would not shift if the RCML arose from the ashes and worked to recruit Republican registrations until the cows came home. 

When a stand up guy like Bob Fischer can’t get elected it’s clear that we have lost our way putting party labels above what is best for our community. By the way, to those who are criticizing Bob for not publicizing his opponent’s indiscretions, why didn’t you chip in and send a letter? Elaine’s blog brought candidate Grella’s citations to light but that didn’t matter, so how would Bob’s stooping have made a difference? Could you have? I don’t believe so.

From Mr. Grella’s website:

 “Our nation’s political environment has fueled hatred at local levels and we have not been immune. But the true test of resilience is how a community handles such challenges, and the residents of Mt. Lebanon have proved time and time again what real community is all about. Last year, we came together in an open forum – in the extreme cold – to denounce hate and violence in all its forms, and to show our children that love and acceptance trumps exclusion and bigotry.” 

So what about our stellar firefighter citizen who stood out in the freezing cold all day on Tuesday? Was his loss due to exclusion or bigotry? I’ll call it exclusion. The elimination of Bob’s potential leadership on the Commission was truly a disservice to our community, so to the Democrat Committee of Mt. Lebanon, shame on you! You are so drunk with power that winning an election is more important than electing winning leadership for our community. You have sold out. Lebo prides itself on celebrating diversity and welcomes everyone? – yep.

Now, it’s my turn. I am not a political statistician. Obviously, far less than the number of registered Republican voters came out and supported me. Have they given up? A thousand Republican phone banks times the Democrat Committee of Mt. Lebanon’s actual amount could never have produced the necessary number of votes for me to win. I do not blame the Republican Committee for that. My race wasn’t even close.

Additionally, Republican “pro-artificial turf on Cedar Blvd.” voters supported my opponent since he is pro-artificial turf. Republican David Franklin lobbied against me on Facebook because I opposed the installation of artificial turf. He praised my opponent’s community service record and support of artificial turf. Well done, Dave. My outstanding community service record wasn’t worth mentioning, huh? To the residents on Vee Lynn, you may want to invest in the special blinds that completely block out light when the $500,000.00+ lighting goes in. Don’t forget to purchase earplugs for the additional traffic from the 50+ added parking spaces and the loudspeaker amplifying day and night. As you are lying in bed with a pillow over your head remember, Mt. Lebanon is a community that cares!

To those who won’t support anyone unless they are a “D”, I have been a life-long Republican and registered to vote when Jimmy Carter was in office. At that time we were in a recession, gas lines/rationing and unaffordable interest rates (21%), inflation (18%),  70% marginal tax rates, and 11% unemployment limited our way of life. My father was out of work for most of my high school years due to the recession and his age. I watched him type letters every day for two years to find a job. He was a World War II vet who completed his degree at Pitt on the G.I. bill while working at J&L Steel. To this day I have remained a Republican because that is where I started. I think there are good apples and bad in every political party. My roots result from my personal experience, something that I hold dear. Can you respect that?

In many ways, I am more “Democrat” than my opponent was in the areas of environment and keeping taxes affordable to maintain diversity here – economic, racial and intergenerational. On Election Day, I chatted with an environmental activist who thought adding artificial turf to Mt. Lebanon was the best decision. Huh??

In February, I attended a “Ready to Run” workshop at the Pennsylvania Center for Women and Politics at Chatham University, of which a Mt. Lebanon woman and past Commissioner is a sponsor. However, this individual is listed on my opponent’s website as a “Friend” (supporter) and offered me nothing, zippo, zilch as I ran for office. So, I guess the hypocritical center will promote women in politics – as long as they are a D. I can hardly wait until the next Mt. Lebanon diversity celebration!

This campaign has had many peaks and valleys. Peaks, hands down, were watching my opponent’s sign being removed from a lawn once the property owner took the time to know the facts, and the positive feedback from others. Valleys were being thrown under the bus because of my friendship with Kelly Fraasch, voters’ snarky questions about how I voted in the last presidential election on their way into the polls, and seeing that some people are so entrenched in their political leanings they feel it’s OK to be rude. One neighbor said that anyone in this day who is a Republican is…..(readers can fill in that blank). I am so feeling that diversity vibe, how about you?

So, what’s next? I am pleased to have recently been elected to a talented board for a fantastic organization in Pittsburgh. That may sound like sour grapes, but it is actually true. I look forward to working with our county treasurer and other dedicated members who only want what is best for our Pittsburgh community and the organization. I’ve hitched my wagon to that star and I will also continue to work on local projects that matter to me with people who have stood by me – R’s and D’s. So, this R is not going away.

As for Mt. Lebanon politics, C’est la vie! The voters will be rewarded according to their choices. As you have sown you really will reap. I can’t wait to see how this turns out.

To quote Will Rodgers: On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter what it does.”

Good Luck, Mt. Lebanon!


-Charlotte Stephenson

Update November 11, 2017 6:01 AM Charlotte sent this to me last night, November 10, 2017 at 10:42 PM. The comment box provides a limited amount of space, so at Charlotte's request, I am posting it here.


9:23 I probably will not banter too much in the blog because it’s not an even playing field when people will not identify themselves. We all know that sitting at a keyboard anonymously often exacerbates poor behavior since there is no accountability involved. However, you asked an important question and I would like to respond.

In my letter, I stated “Yes, the local Republican Committee has been completely ineffective for some time…”

So, to answer your question “What did the LeboGOP do in this election to convince voters- R, D or I that it was the vehicle or had the drivers to get us on a road to successful, principled government?”

Answer - nothing.

Do I think that Democrat Mt. Lebanon voters will listen and shift their support to Republican candidates if the LeboGOP works to show them the Republican Tenants in action? – Nope.

Regarding the “Republican pro-artificial turf on Cedar Blvd.” voters running things around here as you stated, I was pointing out that Republicans throw other Republicans under the bus to protect their special interests as in the case of David Franklin. His Facebook post stated:

 “In WARD 2, please support incumbent STEVE SILVERMAN for COMMISSIONER.  Steve was a strong advocate IN FAVOR of the field renovation project on Cedar Blvd and has always been very helpful on other issues involving our parks and recreation facilities.  

His opponent lobbied against the installation of the new fields on Cedar.”

Regardless of communicating Republican tenants in action, I do not think any anti-artificial turf candidate would get anywhere with that lobby.

I believe we have an imbalance of representation due to our organizational structure. I would like to see the Sports Advisory Board be reorganized as part of a “Recreation Board”. When you look at the budget allocation for recreation and recreational facilities it really doesn’t make sense to only have representation from sports. The new Board should include residents with varied interests e.g. sports, swimming, skating, walking trails, dog park, fitness enthusiasts, etc. so there would be diversity.

Since I will not be posting after this, I would like to share some of the comments that I have received from others:

-“ Charlotte you did not lose the election the 2nd  ward
lost out on a hard working commissioner.”

-“ Thank you for sending this heartfelt letter.  I hadn’t known you long before the election and I pegged you as a class act; someone totally authentic and dedicated.”

-“ Mt. Lebanon has lost two dedicated public servants and will pay the price. So sad.”


Finally, yes, if Elaine had not posted the information about the Century of Excellence Campaign we never would have known of the school district funding and subsequent unsuccessful result. She is Mt. Lebanon’s investigative reporter!

25 comments:

Unknown said...

Charlotte, I thought you would have been a great addition to the Commission.

The truth is, the Trump presidency is not doing good "R"s like you any favor. It's just a bad time to run, as you will be lumped in with lunacy whether it is fair or not.

The bright side is--the two-party system is dying. Corruption runs so deep in both establishments. And the young people couldn't give about either party. It's just a matter of time.

Not sure when MTL will catch up with this though...

It was nice interviewing you for the BtB!

- Jason

Anonymous said...

This letter lacks grace. Mr. Silverman is hardly my favorite, but at least he hustled for my vote. He appeared on my doorstep multiple times, discussing issues with my wife and me. And he occasionally gave unsatisfactory answers, but he was present. I received no such visits from Ms. Stephenson, and, as far as I could glean, her positions parroted the positions of this blog, a site which I find largely rude and distasteful.

That Ms. Stephenson would blame party affiliation rather than her own shortcomings as a candidate, has given me comfort that my vote for Mr. Silverman was the right one.

I am sorry that Ms. Stephenson seems to think that she (or Bob Fischer) deserved election. I might remind her that many Republicans think the same about Hillary Clinton.

Moreover, the convenience in which Ms. Stephenson trots out the "diversity vibe" is troubling. Ms. Stephenson is neither oppressed nor a victim. Her loss is not attributable to bigotry but rather voters pulling the lever for the superior candidate.

Anonymous said...

hahahaha this was the most whiny, pathetic, sour grapes, sore loser, etc etc thing i've ever read. I could imagine the loser of a class president election being more humble in defeat. LOL. crawl back into your republican hole of irrelevance.

Lebo Citizens said...

You want something that lacks grace? How about this comment from Mary Birks, when I announced that I was taking a short break? "Good riddance. Shut this fucking shitty blog down." Wow. Talk about rude and distasteful.

Charlotte, thanks for taking the time to work with Jason. Bob Fisher ignored Jason, as did Steve Silverman. I wish that Bob sent out Grella's docket sheets, as he told me he was going to do, because his post card would have reached more Democrats than my blog does in Ward 4. But the good news is that Grella is a carpet bagger. He will not finish his four year term as commissioner. I guarantee it.
Elaine

Anonymous said...

Charlotte, a question if you please.

Do we let, what did you call them... “Republican “pro-artificial turf on Cedar Blvd.” voters” run things around here or do we get even more active work with things like Lebocitizens blog to get information out to the public.

A good start is by making sure information like the following reaches each and every voter.
“How Taxpayers Get Fooled On The Cost Of An Artificial Turf Field”
http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2014/09/28/how-taxpayers-get-fooled-on-the-cost-of-an-artificial-turf-field/

You asked “Obviously, far less than the number of registered Republican voters came out and supported me. Have they given up?”

I don’t know if they have given up for sure, but this is certain- - if the R party doesn’t engage with them, set the record straight and show that the LeboGOP stands for the party’s Principles the Rs will never win and those voters will never show up.

“I’m A Republican Because…
I BELIEVE the strength of our nation lies with the individual and that each person’s dignity, freedom, ability and responsibility must be honored.
I BELIEVE in equal rights, equal justice and equal opportunity for all, regardless of race, creed, sex, age or disability.
I BELIEVE free enterprise and encouraging individual initiative have brought this nation opportunity, economic growth and prosperity.
I BELIEVE government must practice fiscal responsibility and allow individuals to keep more of the money they earn.
I BELIEVE the proper role of government is to provide for the people only those critical functions that cannot be performed by individuals or private organizations and that the best government is that which governs least.
I BELIEVE the most effective, responsible and responsive government is government closest to the people.
I BELIEVE Americans must retain the principles that have made us strong while developing new and innovative ideas to meet the challenges of changing times.
I BELIEVE Americans value and should preserve our national strength and pride while working to extend peace, freedom and human rights throughout the world.
FINALLY, I believe the Republican Party is the best vehicle for translating these ideals into positive and successful principles of government.”

That last belief is the important one Charlotte. What did the LeboGOP do in this election to convince voters- R, D or I that it was the vehicle or had the drivers to get us on a road to successful, principled government?

Hell, if it weren’t for Elaine and her little “only read by 12 people” blog (ha, ha) we might never had gotten the truth on the Century of Excellence Campaign.

Anonymous said...

Lack of introspection is exactly why Mary lost!

Anonymous said...

I didn’t vote for Fischer because of Grella citations or Bob’s lack of them!
It was his ideas for the community that got my vote.
Apparently, he didn’t reach enough voters with his message to convince them to turn out and vote for him.

Anyone that votes for a candidate because he’s less “________” of instead of being better than, is a fool.

Lebo Citizens said...

Charlotte had asked me to post her response to 9:23 PM last night, but it wouldn't fit in the comment box, so I posted it as an update at 6:01 AM.
Elaine

Lebo Citizens said...

Lebo Citizens Readers, I am sorry that Charlotte "will not be posting after this." I just read her response. For that reason, she would have made an excellent commissioner. Too much of that going on here in Mt. Lebanon.
Elaine

Lebo Citizens said...

Bob Fischer learned that lesson early. Is that a rule here in Mt. Lebanon?
Elaine

Richard Gideon said...

This is definitely off topic, but given the date, and the fact that they served their country to permit elections and their subsequent discussions to occur, I wanted to take "time out" to thank our many Mt. Lebanon military veterans for their services.

I deal with the military every workday, and I can tell you that even though we are many years down the road from those heady days shortly after 9/11, military people are still appreciative of that "thank you for your service" statement many of us send their way; especially those veterans that suffered debilitating injuries. Fortunately, the general public's appreciation of our active duty military and current veterans is quite different from the attitude of the public during the Vietnam years; something to which I and my Vietnam era comrades can attest!

So as you travel freely about today, speak your mind, or sit down to write a comment about Charlotte or Elaine - pro or con - be sure to thank a vet if you get the chance; they made it possible for you to do so.

Anonymous said...

Charlotte’s response failed to also quote the portion of the same post by Dave Franklin that supported Bob Fisher. It’s hard to believe the one Facebook post the night before the election could swing all of Ward 2, but apparently it didn’t help Bob Fisher in Ward 4. Also, the sports advisory board does already include a representative of the women’s golf committee, the aqua club and both paddle and indoor tennis. The chair of the board plays tennis. And at their last meeting it heard a presentation from the Parks Board about walking trails and a dog park in McNeely that received unanimous support.

Sometimes people just need someone or something to blame.

Anonymous said...

Charlotte, I’m sorry that you appear to have taken my 9:23 comment as a criticism of you and your candidacy.
I too think you would have been an excellent commissioner and it’s the community’s loss that Ward 2 turned you and Bob Fischer away.

As for anonymous bloggers, I support that idea and apparently the US Supreme Court did as well in a 1995 decision.

"Anonymity is a shield from the tyranny of the majority," Justice John Paul Stevens said in a majority opinion that canvassed the history of anonymous speech from Samuel Clemens's use of the pen name Mark Twain to the Federalist papers, a series of essays written anonymously by James Madison, Alexander Hamilton and John Jay and published in 1787 and 1788 to argue the case for ratifying the Constitution.
Today's decision declared unconstitutional an 80-year-old Ohio law that made it a crime to distribute any "political communication," designed to influence voters, without including the name and address of the person responsible.”

You missed the main point of my comment. You wrote in your reply: “So, to answer your question “What did the LeboGOP do in this election to convince voters- R, D or I that it was the vehicle or had the drivers to get us on a road to successful, principled government?

Answer - nothing.

Do I think that Democrat Mt. Lebanon voters will listen and shift their support to Republican candidates if the LeboGOP works to show them the Republican Tenants in action? – Nope.”

I disagree. There are a number of thinking people in this community, anonymous ones, you, Fischer, Gillen, Margolis, Mathews that distribute info, fish out facts or just offer opinions on community topics.

Unfortunately, what they are saying doesn’t get a fair and equitable airing in the public forum.

Take the latest draft proposal on turfing the Rock Pile. Did it contain accurate numbers? Was their any contrary numbers allowed during the board discussion and what is funny that draft report was basically prepared anonymously! No one seemed to mind did they.

So all I wrote was that if the LeboGOP wanted to have an impact in our local government they must be front and center all the time, not just a month or two before an election.

You claim Ds won’t shift their votes. They did apparently on Birks and Remely.

Anonymous said...

Worded the comment poorly. Didn’t mean to write that. the quote came from the keyboard at Outreach, but it’s claimed that the quote was by the person that is also Executive Director at Outreach.

Anonymous said...

I was not surprised by the crushing defeat of Charlotte,,, Silverman is the incubate, he voted time and time again for the shooting of the deer which the majority of his Ward was in favor of ,, and probably the biggest reason for his win was he was a D,, which of course in this election climate was HUGE.. oh one more he still has a kid in the School system. The agony of defeat is never easy esp when it was such a huge margin,, but I think Charlotte would of been better served if she would of just thanked her 31% and just moved on,,,

Anonymous said...

And, 12:48, Silverman's appearance makes him look like a commissioner who would be asking for your vote while Stephenson's haircut makes her look like a citizen who will be asking to "please speak to the manager."

Anonymous said...

6:12PM,, I haven't seen Charlotte's haircut but your comment was very rude and totally unnecessary.

Anonymous said...

Nice community, now we judge the worthiness of people based on haircuts and appearances!
How about skin color, religion, eye shape or clothing 6:12, does that make a diffence too?

Lebo Citizens said...

I agree that 6:12's comment was very rude. Just an FYI, the "I'd like to speak to your manager" haircut is all over Reddit. I'm not saying that I agree with it, but I guess it is a real thing.
Elaine

Anonymous said...

I believe it's a pixie cut or some other stylish haircut you'll see on upper middle class white women who stereo-typically feel entitled and are always dissatisfied with their service. Since they are always dissatisfied they will often ask to see a minimum wage employee's manager. They usually drive a Mercedes or a BMW.

Anonymous said...

From Lebomag:
“Mt. Lebanon Rallies for Unity” “Efforts to continue spreading the positive message of unity will continue throughout 2017, as organizations such as Mt. Lebanon Public Library, the Mt. Lebanon Community Relations Board and Mt. Lebanon Partnership explore ways of cooperating on programming that celebrates diversity and inclusion.”

I wonder if 11:15’s comment is a product of the unity rally.

“I believe it's a pixie cut or some other stylish haircut you'll see on upper middle class white women who stereo-typically feel entitled and are always dissatisfied with their service. Since they are always dissatisfied they will often ask to see a minimum wage employee's manager. They usually drive a Mercedes or a BMW.”

Stereo-typing people... good job 11:15 Lebo needs more people like you. 😂

Anonymous said...

interesting take on "please speak to the manager" line,, I know quite a few older, knock on the table, take charge, outspoken older uppermiddle class women in MtL that have expense foreign cars in their garages and who also happened to be liberal Democrats from way back. and from what I observed when it comes to personal service they can be very demanding for excellence...mrs Stephenson may be outspoken and capable of writing a lengthy emotional letter, but in my brief dealings with her, ive always found her to be kind and generous...

Lebo Citizens said...

10:04 AM, it is not. I googled it and it was taken from an online discussion. So calm down, 10:04 AM. My kids tell me that the "I'd like to speak to your manager" haircut is known all over the US and has been around since at least 2015. It has nothing to do with unity rallies.
Elaine

Anonymous said...

So stereo-typing people such as writing they are white women in expensive cars that feel they are entitled is OK. That kind of statement represents unity in Mt. Lebanon.

Got it.

Lebo Citizens said...

You exhaust me, 12:20 PM.
Elaine